"Rise in the presence of the aged, and show respect for the elderly."

Inquiry for Lorraine Adolph

Home > Fatality Inquiries > Inquiry for Lorraine Adolph

See also Lorraine Adolph

January 12, 2009

VIA FACSIMILE 780 422 6621, Letter to Follow
The Honourable Ms. Alison Redford, QC
Minister of Justice and Attorney General
403 Legislature Building, 10800 – 97 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta, T5K 2B6

Dear Ms. Minister:

Reference: Sudden Death of Lorraine Julia Adolph, December 11, 2008

Lorraine Julia Adolph was a certified patient of the Alberta Hospital Edmonton.

On December 4, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Ms. Adolph had been allowed unsupervised, outside the locked doors for a smoke. Ms. Adolph was found one week later, frozen to death, just steps from the hospital entrance, Building # 12.

We are asking you to call an Inquiry at your earliest under the Fatalities Inquiries Act, Chapter F6 in regard to this horrific happening.

Other analogous situations happened at the hands of Alberta Hospital staff.

  1. The matter of the death of 82-year-old Nels Karsten Norregaard. Mr. Norregaard was noted to be absent prior to 11:30 AM, however there was failure by the Director of the Geriatric unit to notify senior management staff and fill out Form 8 until after the evening meal. His remains were found over a decade later near the Saskatchewan River. Geriatric unit, Building # 12, continues to be under the direction of the same physician Director.
  2. The matter of the freezing death of Bob Earle who was a resident of a psychiatric Group Home. Group home owner, Rohana Weerasekera, an Alberta Hospital nursing staff, failed to call police until eight cold winter days passed after Bob Earle disappeared from the group home. Earle’s frozen body was found more than three months later, in some bushes about 25 blocks from the Mill Woods home. The Medical Examiner said he died of exposure.
  3. Staff at Alberta Hospital Edmonton let 42-year-old Tim Dawson, who suffered manic depression, out on a day pass to be escorted to a group home. No one was at the group home and it is not known what happened then. Tim’s body was found a year later on a remote shore of the North Saskatchewan River near Two hills. Tim’s

Brother was quoted as saying that Tim had short term-memory loss due to seizures.and that he couldn’t remember his room number, or even put on his socks. At the Fatality Inquiry, the brother strongly questioned that they let Tim out on a pass.

We submit that it is imperative that this matter receive immediate government attention by your Department.

We would be grateful to be in receipt of your response in regard to this most urgent and distressing matter by the 31st of January, 2009. Thank you.

Yours truly,

Elder Advocates Of Alberta Society,

Ms. Margaret Mrazek QC, Chair, Fatality Review Board,
Justice and Attorney General
Mr. Barry and Mrs. Michelle Adolph