MAN BURNED AT LONG TERM CARE FACILITYHome > Blog > MAN BURNED AT LONG TERM CARE FACILITY
A 97 year old man suffered serious chemicalburns in the Didsbury, AB. long-term
care facility.His face was swollen and the inside of his mouth was blistering with
burns,a layer of skin peeled off his tongue. The senior could not speak or eat.
The doctor who was phoned,told staff it was an allergic reaction& the elder was given
an antihistamine.When at last, he was seen by the localnursinghomedoctor, the
doctor identified itas a yeast infection.
The daughter, Rose Balcom.ended up driving her father to Calgary so a doctor could
see him at the Peter Lougheed Hospital. That doctor said the skin was peeling from his
mouth because he was burned by something caustic.
The doctor and Balcom believe a mix-up with her father’s denture products may have
been the cause of the burn. What is not clear is what went wrong. It could have been
the dentures weren’t washed off prior to being returned to his mouth or the wrong
product may have been used by mistake.
Balcom says she just wants to get to the bottom of the strange injury but doing that
is proving to be nearly impossible. Adapted from September 12/08 CTV Report